Sunday, August 23, 2009

First "Week" of School

So, it's over...Our first week back to school. I guess you can call it that--we really only had 1 full day of classes, but I'm going to count it. I have never felt so unprepared for a year to begin! I knew that Tate would take up quite a large amount of my time, but never imagined I'd go in for the first day of work without having done more than 3 or 4 hours of preparing since I left.

I've also discovered that I was never destined to be a stay-at-home mother. I've been ready to return to work for about a month and a half. A 4 1/2 month maternity leave may be great for some, but apparently I require much more adult interaction than I was getting.

My classes don't seem to bad so far. I've got a few that a probably going to push it to see how far they can get (some every year). But, for the first time is 6 years, I have a schedule that is NOT predominantly freshmen. I think I have 8 or 9 all day. In some ways, this is a pleasant change--in others, not so pleasant. As the yearbook advisor, it is typically more helpful if I can identify the people in pictures...this could prove challenging--but I'm up for it!

Overall, I'm looking forward to what I feel is going to be a pretty good year. I'm jumping in with both feet tomorrow, with lofty goals of finishing chapters and giving tests/quizzes by Friday already. We'll see how long that optimism lasts!

For everyone else returning to school this week (or just recently). Have a happy and safe year! Best of luck!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, don't discount your ability to be a stay-home Mom just yet... I know it seems like Tate needs you a lot now, but actually, they need you even more as they get older and have bigger troubles than poopy diapers and Dad's missing-the-mouth. Seriously, I love babies like nobody's business, and I am slightly heartbroken that my babies are all in school now (am I NOT too YOUNG to have all of my kids in school?!!!!!????), but the truth is, the best part is watching them grow, learn, evolve, discover, and mold into ever-changing seasons of their lives. I've always LOVED teenagers, and I think as my kids get older, I will just love them incomprehensibly more. I'm excited, thrilled, scared, and challenged with their growth. But I know the best years are yet to come. Perhaps, perhaps, in 10 years, there will be nothing you want more than to spend more time at home. Just sayin'...

    That all said, I have at times missed working, and missed schooling, but I am in a fabulous point of my life when a certain balance between my own life and the lives of my children has stationed. I get a fabulous mix of adult interaction in the mix, and I love it.

    I'm so glad you started this blog. I can't wait to read your thoughts, experiences, growth, recipes. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with School!! I have mixed emotions about being a stay at home mom. I think I would love it only because my husband would be around in the mornings and I don't want to miss a thing. But since I don't have the option of staying home....I go to work every day.

    ReplyDelete